Aim of work
Materials and methods
- He Y.
- Yang F.
- Zhao H.
- Gao Q.
- Xia B.
- Fu J.
2. Research gap and research question of the paper
- RQ1: To brief about 3D printing technology and contributions in stem cells fabrication;
- RQ2: to study different advancements of 3D printings through the input of stem cells;
- RQ3: to review the concept of stem cells and describe their significant functions and capabilities for better treatment;
- RQ4: to identify significant applications of stem cells through the use of 3D printing;
- RQ5: to study limitations and future scope of 3D printing in stem cells.
3. Stem cells
- Tappa K.
- Jammalamadaka U.
4. Additive manufacturing (AM)
- Chadha A.
- UlHaq M.
- Raina A.
- Singh R.
- Penumarti N.
- Bishnoi M.
5. 3D printing
- Haleem A.
- Javaid M.
- Khan R.H.
- •Adult stem cell
- •Somatic cell
- •Tissue engineering
- •Embryonic stem cell
- •Bone marrow transplant
5.1 3D printing for stem cells
6. Functions of stem cells
- Kjar A.
- Huang Y.
- •Stem cells are helpful to create new cells and tissues
- •Used for research to understand the essential biological functions of a living being
- •Helpful to study cell functions during any disease
- •Used for therapy where replacement of damaged or lost cells is required
- •Understanding the growth of our body
- •Study the process of disease
- •Study the effect of different drug
- •Easily transplanted into the body to replace damaged or lost tissue
- •Provide healthy blood to the body
- •Better treatment of the patient
- •Generate new skin for a burn patient
- •Helpful for the patient eye to replace its damaged cell
7. Capabilities of stem cells for treatment
- Zhang F.
- Li C.
- Wang Z.
- Zhang J.
- Wang Y.
- •Alzheimer disease
- •Heart infarction
- •Restoration of vision
- •Formation of blood cells
- •Treatment of brain injury
- •Heart tissue
- •Biomedical research
- •Crohn,s disease
- •Development of a complex organism
- •Understanding how disease occurs
- •Muscle repair
- Lee H.J.
- Lee J.S.
- Yoon H.
- Chun W.
- Kim G.H.
8. Different applications of stem cells through 3D printing
|1||Treatment of skin||Blaeser et al., 2016|
35; Haleem and Javaid, 2019
36; Wang et al., 2019
Polyether ether ketone (PEEK) and its manufacturing of customised 3D printed dentistry parts using additive manufacturing.
Clin Epidemiol Glob Health. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cegh.2019.03.001
|2||Regenerative medicine||Faulkner-Jones et al., 2015|
38; Nyberg et al., 2017
39; Li et al., 2019
41; Sharafeldin et al., 2018
The recent development and applications of fluidic channels by 3D printing.
J Biomed Sci. 2017; 24: 80https://doi.org/10.1186/s12929-017-0384-2
|4||Gao et al., 2015|
43; Yang et al., 2018
|5||Yeo et al., 2016|
45; Xu et al., 2018
|6||Goldshmid and Seliktar, 2017|
47; Javaid and Haleem, 2018
|7||Chien and Shah, 2012|
49; Yoo et al., 2016
50; Vashistha et al., 2019
3D printing in medicine of congenital heart diseases.
3D Print Med. 2015; 2: 3https://doi.org/10.1186/s41205-016-0004-x
|8||Gu et al., 2016|
52; Placone and Engler, 2018
54; Jamróz et al., 2018
55; Cidonio et al., 2019
3D printing in pharmaceutical and medical applications - recent achievements and challenges.
Pharm Res (N Y). 2018; 35: 176https://doi.org/10.1007/s11095-018-2454-x
|10||Lou et al., 2014|
57; O'Brien et al., 2015
58; Kwon et al., 2018
|11||Ouyang et al., 2016|
60; Lin et al., 2019
Effect of bioink properties on printability and cell viability for 3D bioplotting of embryonic stem cells.
Biofabrication. 2016; 8https://doi.org/10.1088/1758-5090/8/3/035020
|12||Tasoglu et al., 2013|
62; Javaid and Haleem, 2019
63Zhuang et al., 2019
3D printed tissue and organ using additive manufacturing: an overview.
Clin Epidemiol Glob Health. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cegh.2019.12.008
|13||Javaid and Haleem, 2019|
65; Liao et al., 2019
66; Yi et al., 2019
Three-dimensional printing with biomaterials in craniofacial and dental tissue engineering.
Peer J. 2019; 7e7271https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.7271
- Ma Y.
- Ji Y.
- Huang G.
- Ling K.
- Zhang X.
- Xu F.
- Lin K.
- Sheikh R.
- Romanazzo S.
- Roohani I.
- Haleem A.
- Javaid M.
- Wang Q.
- Han G.
- Yan S.
- Zhang Q.
11. Future scope
Declaration of competing interest
- The influence of roughness on stem cell differentiation using 3D printed polylactic acid scaffolds.Soft Matter. 2018; 14: 9838-9846
- The applications of 3D printing for craniofacial tissue engineering.Micromachines. 2019; 10: 480https://doi.org/10.3390/mi10070480
- Research on the printability of hydrogels in 3D bioprinting.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 29977https://doi.org/10.1038/srep29977
- Additive manufacturing applications in medical cases: a literature-based review.Alexandria J Med. 2018; 54: 411-422
- Laser printing of stem cells for biofabrication of scaffold-free autologous grafts.Tissue Eng C Methods. 2011; 17: 79-87
- Ultra-low-cost 3D bioprinting: modification and application of an off-the-shelf desktop 3D-printer for biofabrication.Front Bioeng Biotechnol. 2019; 7: 184https://doi.org/10.3389/fbioe.2019.00184
- Potential of 3D-printed models in planning structural interventional procedures.Intervent Cardiol. 2015; 7: 1-5
- Improving PEEK bioactivity for craniofacial reconstruction using a 3D printed scaffold embedded with mesenchymal stem cells.J Biomater Appl. 2016; 31: 132-139
- Three-dimensional bio-printed scaffold sleeves with mesenchymal stem cells for enhancement of tendon-to-bone healing in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using soft-tissue tendon graft.Arthroscopy. 2018; 34: 166-179
- Gaps and overlaps: improving the current regulation of stem cells in the UK.J Med Ethics. 2007; 33: 621-622
- Applications of stem cells and bioprinting for potential treatment of diabetes.World J Stem Cell. 2019; 11: 13-32
- Micro-and nanoengineering for stem cell biology: the promise with a caution.Trends Biotechnol. 2011; 29: 399-408
- Novel biomaterials used in medical 3D printing techniques.J Funct Biomater. 2018; 9: 17https://doi.org/10.3390/jfb9010017
- Geometric cues for directing the differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2010; 107: 4872-4877
- 3D bioprinting of neural stem cell-laden thermoresponsive biodegradable polyurethane hydrogel and potential in central nervous system repair.Biomaterials. 2015; 71: 48-57
- Bone tissue engineering using polyether ketone scaffolds combined with autologous mesenchymal stem cells in a sheep calvarial defect model.J Cranio-Maxillo-Fac Surg Off Publ Eur Assoc Cranio-Maxillo-Fac Surg. 2016; 44: 985-994
- Basics and applications of rapid prototyping medical models.Rapid Prototyp J. 2014; 20: 256-267
- Effect of fused deposition modelling process parameters on mechanical properties of 3D printed parts.World J Eng. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1108/WJE-09-2018-0329
- Additive manufacturing applications in orthopaedics: a review.J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2018; 9: 202-206
- 3D printing applications in bone tissue engineering.J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcot.2019.12.002
- Industry 4.0 applications in medical field: a brief review.Curr Med Res Pract. 2019; 9: 102-109
- Three-Dimensional-printed polyether ether ketone implants for orthopedics.Indian J Orthop. 2019; 53: 377-379
- Response of stem cells from different origins to biphasic calcium phosphate bioceramics.Cell Tissue Res. 2015; 361: 477-495
- Three-dimensional bioprinting of embryonic stem cells directs highly uniform embryoid body formation.Biofabrication. 2015; 7044101
- Application of micro-scale 3D printing in pharmaceutics.Pharmaceutics. 2019; 11: 390https://doi.org/10.3390/pharmaceutics11080390
- Bioprintable, cell-laden silk fibroin-gelatin hydrogel supporting multilineage differentiation of stem cells for fabrication of three-dimensional tissue constructs.Acta Biomater. 2015; 11: 233-246
- Biodegradable polymers and stem cells for bioprinting.Molecules. 2016; 21: 539
- Polyether ether ketone (PEEK) and its 3D printed implants applications in the medical field: an overview.Clin Epidemiol Glob Health. 2019; 7: 571-577
- 4D printing applications in medical field: a brief review.Clin Epidemiol Glob Health. 2019; 7: 317-321
- Multimaterial 3D printing for arbitrary distribution with nanoscale resolution.Nanomaterials (Basel). 2019; 9: 1108https://doi.org/10.3390/nano9081108
- A novel cell-printing method and its application to hepatogenic differentiation of human adipose stem cell-embedded mesh structures.Sci Rep. 2015; 5: 13427https://doi.org/10.1038/srep13427
- 3D scanning applications in medical field: a literature-based review.Clin Epidemiol Glob Health. 2019; 7: 199-210
- Spatial effects of stem cell engagement in 3D printing constructs.J Stem Cell Res Rev Rep. 2014; 1: 5-9
- 3D printing applications for veterinary field.Indian J. Anim. Health. 2019; 58: 171-173
- Controlling shear stress in 3D bioprinting is a key factor to balance printing resolution and stem cell integrity.Adv Healthc Mater. 2016; 5: 326-333
- Polyether ether ketone (PEEK) and its manufacturing of customised 3D printed dentistry parts using additive manufacturing.Clin Epidemiol Glob Health. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cegh.2019.03.001
- Bioartificial organ manufacturing technologies.Cell Transplant. 2019; 28: 5-17
- Bioprinting of human pluripotent stem cells and their directed differentiation into hepatocyte-like cells for the generation of mini-livers in 3D.Biofabrication. 2015; 7044102
- 3D-Printing technologies for craniofacial rehabilitation, reconstruction, and regeneration.Ann Biomed Eng. 2017; 45: 45-57
- Polydopamine coating promotes early osteogenesis in 3D printing porous Ti6Al4V scaffolds.Ann Transl Med. 2019; 7: 240https://doi.org/10.21037/atm.2019.04.79
- The recent development and applications of fluidic channels by 3D printing.J Biomed Sci. 2017; 24: 80https://doi.org/10.1186/s12929-017-0384-2
- 3D-Printed biosensor arrays for medical diagnostics.Micromachines. 2018; 9: 394https://doi.org/10.3390/mi9080394
- Inkjet-bioprintedacrylated peptides and PEG hydrogel with human mesenchymal stem cells promote robust bone and cartilage formation with minimal printhead clogging.Biotechnol J. 2015; 10: 1568-1577
- Bio-based polymers for 3D printing of bioscaffolds.Polym Rev. 2018; 58: 668-687
- An innovative collagen-based cell-printing method for obtaining human adipose stem cell-laden structures consisting of core-sheath structures for tissue engineering.Biomacromolecules. 2016; 17: 1365-1375
- Three-Dimensional printing of wood-derived biopolymers: a review focused on biomedical applications.ACS Sustainable Chem Eng. 2018; 6: 5663-5680
- Hydrogel modulus affects proliferation rate and pluripotency of human mesenchymal stem cells grown in three-dimensional culture.ACS Biomater Sci Eng. 2017; 3: 3433-3446
- Role of CT and MRI in the design and development of orthopaedic model using additive manufacturing.J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2018; 9: 213-217
- Novel soy protein scaffolds for tissue regeneration: materialization characterisation and interaction with human mesenchymal stem cells.Acta Biomater. 2012; 8: 694-703
- 3D printing in medicine of congenital heart diseases.3D Print Med. 2015; 2: 3https://doi.org/10.1186/s41205-016-0004-x
- Quest for cardiovascular interventions: precise modeling and 3D printing of heart valves.J Biol Eng. 2019; 13: 12https://doi.org/10.1186/s13036-018-0132-5
- Functional 3D neural mini-tissues from printed gel-based bioink and human neural stem cells.Adv Healthcare Mater. 2016; 5: 1429-1438
- Recent advances in extrusion-based 3D printing for biomedical applications.Adv Healthc Mater. 2018; 7e1701161https://doi.org/10.1002/adhm.201701161
- Cutting-edge microfabricated biomedical tools for human pluripotent stem cell research.J Lab Autom. 2013; 18: 469-481
- 3D printing in pharmaceutical and medical applications - recent achievements and challenges.Pharm Res (N Y). 2018; 35: 176https://doi.org/10.1007/s11095-018-2454-x
- The cell in the ink: improving bio fabrication by printing stem cells for skeletal regenerative medicine.Biomaterials. 2019; 209: 10-24
- The use of nanofibrillar cellulose hydrogel as a flexible three-dimensional model to culture human pluripotent stem cells.Stem Cell Dev. 2014; 23: 380-392
- Three-dimensional printing of nanomaterial scaffolds for complex tissue regeneration.Tissue Eng Part B Rev. 2015; 21: 103-114
- Recent advances in stem cell therapeutics and tissue engineering strategies.Biomater Res. 2018; 22: 36https://doi.org/10.1186/s40824-018-0148-4
- Effect of bioink properties on printability and cell viability for 3D bioplotting of embryonic stem cells.Biofabrication. 2016; 8https://doi.org/10.1088/1758-5090/8/3/035020
- Combination of polyether Ether ketone scaffold and human mesenchymal stem cells from temporomandibular joint synovial fluid enhances bone regeneration.Sci Rep. 2019; 9: 472https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-36778-2
- Bioprinting for stem cell research.Trends Biotechnol. 2013; 31: 10-19
- 3D printed tissue and organ using additive manufacturing: an overview.Clin Epidemiol Glob Health. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cegh.2019.12.008
- Layer-by-layer ultraviolet assisted extrusion-based (UAE) bioprinting of hydrogel constructs with high aspect ratio for soft tissue engineering applications.PloS One. 2019; 14e0216776https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0216776
- Current status and applications of additive manufacturing in dentistry: a literature-based review.J Oral Biol Craniofac Res. 2019; 9: 179-185
- Three-dimensional printing with biomaterials in craniofacial and dental tissue engineering.Peer J. 2019; 7e7271https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.7271
- Three-dimensional printing of a patient-specific engineered nasal cartilage for augmentative rhinoplasty.J Tissue Eng. 2019; 10 (2041731418824797)https://doi.org/10.1177/2041731418824797
- Intrinsically water-stable electrospun three-dimensional ultrafine fibrous soy protein scaffolds for soft tissue engineering using adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells.RSC Adv. 2014; 4: 15451-15457
- Developing effective health communication messages for community-acquired pneumonia in children under five years of age: a rural North Indian qualitative study.Clin Epidemiol Glob Health. 2017; 5: 107-116
- Bioprinting 3D cell-laden hydrogel microarray for screening human periodontal ligament stem cell response to extracellular matrix.Biofabrication. 2015; 7044105https://doi.org/10.1088/1758-5090/7/4/044105
- Hyaline cartilage next-generation implants from adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells: comparative study on 3D-printed polycaprolactone scaffold patterns.J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2019; 13: 342-355
- Current status and challenges of Additive manufacturing in orthopaedics: an overview.J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2019; 10: 380-386
- 3D printing of bioceramic scaffolds-barriers to the clinical translation: from promise to reality, and future perspectives.Materials. 2019; 12: 2660https://doi.org/10.3390/ma12172660
- Enablers, barriers and critical success factors for effective adoption of colour-jet 3D printing technology.J Ind Integrat Manag. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1142/S242486221950009X
- Improved properties of bone and cartilage tissue from 3D inkjet-bioprinted human mesenchymal stem cells by simultaneous deposition and photocrosslinking in PEG-GelMA.Biotechnol Lett. 2015; 37: 2349-2355
- Current status and applications of 3D scanning in dentistry.Clin Epidemiol Glob Health. 2019; 7: 179-185
- 3D printing of silk fibroin for biomedical applications.Materials. 2019; 12: 504https://doi.org/10.3390/ma12030504
- 3D printed complex tissue construct using stem cell-laden decellularised extracellular matrix bioinks for cardiac repair.Biomaterials. 2017; 112: 264-274